May 1, 2011

Under pressure

All of the new hoses have been installed. Ready to fill the cooling system and test. The system holds pressure... for a bit.


Not surprisingly the leak was in a hose I had not replaced. A hose that is a p.i.t.a. to replace.


Notice the heater control valve is not looking so good nor the plastic mount that holds it. I was not surprised when I got the valve out to discover the mount was broken.


And here's the culprit. The hose literally fell apart once removed.


I fixed the mounting bracket with some JB Weld. I knew this would be a temporary fix as I had intentions of rebuilding the heater box in the future.


The heater control valve was not so simple. Initially I thought to just replace it... That is until I researched the cost. Although they appear to be made of brass, apparently they are actually made of solid gold! Luckily with a trip to the hardware superstore, McFadden-Dale, I was able to get the correct O-rings, stainless hardware and narrow hose clamps needed to rebuild and replace the valve. (Standard hose clamps are too wide for this application.)

2 comments:

  1. This post will help when I remove/restore my heater box. If you have anymore info or pics please post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will create a dedicated page to cover rebuilding the heater box.

      Delete