Nov 27, 2015

LED headlight upgrade

I replaced my standard H4 headlight bulbs today with a set of LED H4 headlight bulbs I purchased from eBay.  I specifically wanted CREE LEDs and did not want bulbs that relied on internal electric fans for cooling.  I am very happy with the results.  More light.  Whiter light. Less current draw.  

FYI - My friend bought and installed the 1st version of these bulbs in his 2002.  Although the color/quantity of light are fine in his car, the beam is very narrow like a spot light.  No light for cornering.  I would not recommend getting the 1st version of these lights.

The version I bought was the second version labeled 2S.  The version I bought can be distinguished by a chrome plated metal shield around the bulb.  

 Very elaborate packaging.  Very similar to Apple iPhone.

Here's what comes in the box: Bulbs. rubber boots. (I used the boots that came with my H4 housings.) Wiring harness adapters. Bulb mounts.


H4 LED bulb without bulb mount. (Remember not to touch the glass bulb with your bare hands.)

LED bulb with bulb mount attached.  

The easiest way to install these particular bulbs is to install the bulb mount by itself into the H4 housing.  Once it's clipped into place, reinstall the rubber boot.  Next attach the harness adapter to your cars headlight plug.  This is a VERY firm connection, be careful not to damage the headlight plug on your car. Finally attach the harness adapter to the LED bulb and install the bulb into bulb mount.  The bulb's bayonet mount is locked into position by turning.


 Standard H4 bulb compared to the LED bulb.

 The results.  This is low beam!

LED bulbs installed into flat lens (E code) H4 housings with city lights.

Click the link below to go to the Headlight basics page for details on replacing/upgrading  your headlight bulbs and/or housings.





6 comments:

  1. Can you post a link to where to buy the bulbs?

    Did you need to add resistance?

    Do these bulbs have high beams integrated?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, great post. I really appreciate when people try sobering new and then share their experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That’s really a nice one, I have seen many blogs but they are outdated so I’m pleased to see this blog now.


    Xenon D3S Bulbs

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing this interesting blog with us. My pleasure to being here on your blog. I wanna come back here for new post from your site.



    Philips D3S Bulb

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing such a Great information with us Its Really Impressive and interesting . looking forward to see more update like that.

    Audi tt number plate bulb

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was searching for something else. The story and blog you have published is very interesting as well as informaticve, Thanks for sharing such type of informative thing!

    BMW 20w Cree Led Bulb

    ReplyDelete